From: VC <boston103_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 00:28:12 -0400

"Jan Hidders" <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be> wrote in message news:xxBxe.135773$vq.7300203_at_phobos.telenet-ops.be...
> VC wrote:
>> "Jan Hidders" <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be> wrote in message

>>>Why not? Because it has operations with side effects?
>>
>> An algebra is a set S together with operations on S.
>
> Then why did you put it between quotes?

Probably my use of quotes was incorrect. I wanted to express the idea that Daplex is not an algebra. Please ignore the quotes.

> Anyway, why do you want specifically an algebra? You don't need one for
> asking queries, not for defining views and you don't need one for query
> optimization, so why bother?

Please clarify whether tour are talking about the RM views and queries or about something else.

>>>:-) Yeah, ORM people like to use those words a lot. I wouldn't worry too
>>>much about it. You can understand the query language w/o understanding
>>>what those words exactly mean.
>>
>> Can your response be interpeted as meaning that the article is
>> essentially non-sensical (we do not care what the words the authors use
>> mean) ?
>
> No, just that the specific meaning of those words is not essential for
> understanding the query language and that, since you seem an intelligent
> person you will probably pick up their meaning as we go along. Most of my
> students seem to manage it, so I don't see why you couldn't.

Well, apparently, I am not as smart as most of your students are. Please provide a definition of "conceptual object type".

>>>That there is no value representation associated with non-lexical
>>>objects.
>>
>> OK. Firstly, why do we care about 'value representation' at all ?
>
> Because otherwise we couldn't indicate in an ORM schema that the name of a
> department is represented as a string.

Cannot we just use the notion of data type (aka domain) instead ? Also, what's the formal definition of LOT ?

Thank you.

vc