Re: What to call this operator?

From: Jon Heggland <heggland_at_idi.ntnu.no>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:13:23 +0200

In article <IpVve.12426$pa3.12390_at_newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, david.cressey_at_earthlink.net says...
> But seriously, I'm unable to figure out from the formal description what it
> is. more importantly, I'm unable to figure out what it is FOR. Not that
> there's anything wrong with your formal description. It's just my own
> unfamiliarity with it that causes problems.

It is part of a minimalistic approach to relational algebra that is more geared towards logic instead of set theory. <OR> is a generalisation of union. If the relations have the same heading, the result is a union.

I think the point is to have a counterpart to <AND> (which covers join, product, intersection, selection and extension) that covers union, but places no restrictions on the types of the operands, and has simple logic-based semantics.

> How does <OR> differ from "full outer join"?

It is more like outer union than outer join. It has clearly defined semantics, and there are no nulls. It is, however, possibly infinite.

--
Jon