Why spurious tuples with fifth normal form?

From: <stowellt_at_gmail.com>
Date: 15 Jun 2005 10:14:41 -0700

Hello All,

I have spent countless hours searching the net to find the answer, but am still confused. I have a db structure where I have decomposed a table into three smaller tables, but when I join them all back together, I get spurious tuples. Now I thought that the whole point of fifth normal form was to allow you to successfully decompose a table into smaller tables, then join them back together without spurious results. Do I have the wrong idea about this, or if not, what am I doing wrong? Thanks. Received on Wed Jun 15 2005 - 12:14:41 CDT