Re: Does Codd's view of a relational database differ from that of Date & Darwin? [M.Gittens]

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_novoa_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:58:21 +0200

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 03:16:34 GMT, "David Cressey" <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

>This makes a lot of sense to me. But then, I consider most of "computer
>science" to be more aptly called "computer engineering".

Science is an overloaded word, but as Dijkstra said, to call "computer science" to informatics is like to call "telescope science" to astronomy.

See this:

science

1
a. The observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena. b. Such activities restricted to a class of natural phenomena. c. Such activities applied to an object of inquiry or study.

2 Methodological activity, discipline, or study: I've got packing a suitcase down to a science.

3 An activity that appears to require study and method: the science of purchasing.

4 Knowledge, especially that gained through experience.

5 Science Christian Science.

www.dictionary.com

Computing science matches with 2, 3 and 4.

Regards Received on Wed Jun 15 2005 - 15:58:21 CEST

Original text of this message