From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 Jun 2005 07:36:32 -0700

> That's funny. That reminds me of people saying that such algebras are
> already available in the literature. :-)

I seem to remember you and I having a conversation about this a year or two ago. I did some research at that time but didn't come across anything I liked very much.

The canonical "list algebra" that I'm used to thinking of is car/cdr/cons, or comparable things from languages like ML or Haskell, where you can pattern match on x : xs.

Do you have other examples of list algebras that you're particularly impressed with for their expressive power? (BTW, I have access to ACM now; that's been an issue in the past.)

I also note that one can treat a list as a set by including the index in the element tuple, but this seems only modestly useful.

Marshall Received on Thu Jun 09 2005 - 16:36:32 CEST

Original text of this message