Re: what data models cant do

From: Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 14:36:12 -0400

Paul wrote:

> Kenneth Downs wrote:

>>>Non IT people understand relations very well too. IMO business people
>>>tend to understand relations and set theory better than IT people.
>>
>> Yes, indeed.  I formulated my "law" when I observed that people of any
>> technical background or management level could actually conduct very
>> productive meetings together if they stuck to the detailing of what
>> should
>> be kept in tables.  There is something in the human mind that easily
>> works with tabular data.
>>
>> I believe, completely without proof, that this human intuition is
>> ultimately
>> behind both the success of spreadsheets and the relational model.  It is
>> what gives us our sense that the relational model is "elegant".

> I disagree; I think the relational model is actually counter-intuitive.
>
> If you've ever seen (or been) a database novice, the instinct is to
> stick everything in one big table, because they then feel it is easy to
> get at what they want without having all those complicated joins getting
> in the way.

As the novices mature, they run into troubles and seek a way out, which leads them by one route or another to discover normalization.

Thus questions the student: Master, I thought tables were good, and yet my table is clumsy and difficult.

Thus replies the master: Ah, my grasshopper, if one table is good, more tables are better. Seek thou to have a place for everything and everything in its place.

...and the student was enlightened.

> It just goes to show that intuition isn't always right (cf. quantum
> mechanics, relativity, etc.).

Some intuition is learned. I find both quantum and relativity to be very intuitive.

> I think the sense of elegance stems from the fact that every fact is
> stored in one place only.

See above.

--
Kenneth Downs