Re: deductive databases

From: alex goldman <hello_at_spamm.er>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 20:12:57 -0700

Christopher Browne wrote:

> I expect he's talking about the ML notion of functor, which is the
> type signature of a 'module.'

And since we are competing in misunderstanding, by ML you mean machine learning, right? :-)

No, functor is usually defined in BNF grammars for first-order logic. For example, in

   car(cons(X,Y), X)
car is a predicate, cons is a functor. A term is either a constant like adam, a variable like X, or a functor like cons(X,Y) above. Sometimes the term "function" is used instead of "functor", but I don't like it, because it creates confusion. "Function" is better used for predicates that possess certain properties (determinism) Received on Sun May 15 2005 - 05:12:57 CEST

Original text of this message