Re: deductive databases

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 15:55:23 GMT

"mountain man" <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op> wrote:

> "Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_novoa_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> To say that recursion is not useful to solve part explosion problems
>> shows profound ignorance.
>

> 1) WTF is this critical inventory explosion problem?
> 2) How many organisations are experiencing this problem?

BOM explosion is a standard problem for any manufacturing or assembly company.

Ford, GM, Daimler/Chrysler are the canonical examples of such organizations.

A dealer orders a 2005 Magnum XI, with some set of requested features.

The order goes in, and gets recursively exploded into successively more detailed sets of inventory requests.

You need a car; that means you need:

  • Chassis
  • Engine
  • Drive train
  • Wheel assemblies, and everything to connect them to the drive train
  • Seats

The engine, then, is a subsystem that must itself be exploded into a further bill of materials representing the components needed to build the engine.

Stereo makers (Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony, Harmon Kardon, ...) will have somewhat simpler BOM explosions. You may buy a stereo "system" which consists of:

  • Receiver/Amp
  • DVD player
  • Tape deck
  • Speakers
  • Cabling

Each of which then explodes into a BOM that leads to drawing inventory.

The explosion reverberates in a number of ways...

--
"cbbrowne","_at_","gmail.com"
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/emacs.html