Re: deductive databases

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 11:09:56 GMT

"mAsterdam" <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org> wrote in message news:4285cbf6$0$64528$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl...
> mountain man wrote:
> [snip "recursion useful to solve part explosion problems"]
>
> > In fact there are literally hundreds of alternative work-
> > arounds to this type of problem without involving
> > any form of esoteric generalised recursion theory.
>
> <delurk>
>
> Just curious:
> What is esoteric about it?
> Or: What makes you look for alternatives?
>
> </delurk>

> > If you relied upon theory you'd have a problem.
> > Fortunately there are viable practice-based
> > alternatives in SQL.

In my case practice based alternatives were engineered for many years before I became aware that generalised and theoretical treatments of the problem were being considered.

So its not that I went looking for alternatives, rather that in the early days I was not aware of any recursion theory.

IMO there are at least 2 roads
to database systems theory:
the road of theory and
the road of practice.