Re: deductive databases

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_novoa_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 18:53:52 +0200

On 13 May 2005 09:35:47 -0700, "ken quirici" <kquirici_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>All you need is an algorithm for left-most tree traversal (and of
>course a database in which you can define a tree).

I don't know any database system in which you can not.

>Also the algorithm doesn't need to be recursive

Of course.

>(I wrote a couple of parts explosions/implosions for MRP systems
>a number of years ago) if you don't use recursion you can get by
>with a stack containing where you are at each level 'above' you.

I wrote similar routines.

>AFAIK there is no algorithm using recursion that can't be 'emulated'
>by one not using recursion.

Indeed, but all what a computer does can be emulated with pencils and paper sheets or with knife marks in a wall :)

>Maybe you have another meaning for 'recursion' in mind than the
>strictly algorithmic/programming one?

No, what I mean is that recursion is a very desirable feature for inventory system developers.

Regards Received on Fri May 13 2005 - 18:53:52 CEST

Original text of this message