Re: Development as Configuration

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 May 2005 09:51:08 -0700

mAsterdam wrote:
> dawn wrote:
> > mAsterdam wrote:

> >>It is not a feature. In order to be able to manage the data, the
> >>DSMS must assume there is no data traffic in or out of the database
> >>outside the control of the DBMS. So, any DBMS _has_ to provide a
> >>data manipulation interface.
> >
> > And just what do you call this capability that a DBMS product has
that
> > is not a feature of the product? It seems to me that providing
this
> > API is a rather important feature of the product, essential even.

> Using feature in the sense: "a prominent aspect of something", the
> CRUD API is the most visible part of a DBMS
> to developers. In this sense the CRUD API is a feature.
>

> I was using 'feature' in this sense: "The solution to a consumer
> need or problem." (http://www.shapetomorrow.com/resources/f.html),
> and so - I think - were you.

Probably -- I was using it in the dictionary sense of a "characteristic" and also intended that it be a feature desired by customers. In other words, if I were to list everything I would like to have in a DBMS, it would surely include the CRUD API.

I'm still not certain I understand your point, but it sounds like our difference in terminology might only be that you are suggesting that there are non-DBMS products that also provide the CRUD features (file systems) so that if that were the only feature that a customer desired, they need not seek out a DBMS.

In that case, we might be signing from the same hymnal (Gereformeerde, of course). I will also suggest that companies select DBMS tools these days when they have identified a need to store structured data, period.  If a developer or small group of developers need a CRUD API even for a prototype, they opt for a SQL-DBMS tool to provide such, whether or not they care about any other features. THAT is what I was trying to say. Agreed?

> The data manipulation interfaces (including the CRUD API)
> of a DBMS, are necessary to garantee it's datamanagement
> capabilities. It is a solution to a provider's need.
> The 'consumer' wants the datamanagement, so he submits to
> exclusively use the datamanipulation interface provided by
> the DBMS.

> Now for a nice term to disambiguate ... hmm... I'll have to leave
> that to the native speakers.

I think "feature" is more the dictionary term of "characteristic" while adjectives such as "required", "desired", "essential" can help identify whether a feature is a "solution" to some problem. I don't think that "solution" is inherent in the term "feature".

--dawn Received on Mon May 09 2005 - 18:51:08 CEST

Original text of this message