Re: Development as Configuration

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 5 May 2005 17:44:04 -0700

mAsterdam wrote:
> dawn wrote:

> >>Completely wrong. The primary function of a DBMS is
> >>to manage data and not to be misused as a file system.
> >
> > I'm not suggesting what the purpose is -- I saying what a primary
> > requirement from the user's perspective it is meeting. There are
> > DBMS's that are missing a lot of features, but I don't know of any
that
> > are deemed to be DBMS's and are missing a CRUD API. So, I would
> > suggest that from the standpoint of someone who is looking for a
DBMS,
> > one feature they would not be interested in compromising on is
whether
> > it has a CRUD API. It is, I'll repeat, a primary feature for any
DBMS
> > product. Do you really disagree with that? If so, please provide
> > URL for a DBMS that is missing this feature.
>
> It is not a feature. In order to be able to manage the data, the
> DSMS must assume there is no data traffic in or out of the database
> outside the control of the DBMS. So, any DBMS _has_ to provide a
> data manipulation interface.

And just what do you call this capability that a DBMS product has that is not a feature of the product? It seems to me that providing this API is a rather important feature of the product, essential even.

smiles. --dawn Received on Fri May 06 2005 - 02:44:04 CEST

Original text of this message