Re: Development as Configuration

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_novoa_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 18:50:04 +0200

On 4 May 2005 08:34:25 -0700, "dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>There are two reasons for using SQL as the API for persistance.
>1) If someone else determined at some other time that a SQL-DBMS would
>be used for storing the data with which my app is working or

In other words: if you have to obey to an incompetent.

>2) If I determined that there were features of a SQL-DBMS that gave an
>advantage over a simple file system so that I chose to use PostgreSQL,
>for example, for a given project.

To use a SQL DBMS as a file system might have some advantages over a simple file system but to use a SQL DBMS as a DBMS would gave a lot more advantages.

> Because SQL is so pervasive in tools
>that have as a PRIMARY feature (smiling) an API for creating, reading,
>updating, and deleting data on secondary storage devices, it is often
>used in even the simplest database applications.

But such tools like XBase libraries are not DBMS.

>Sure, there are other features that are important for DBMS tools, such
>as security and referential integrity, but many a software application
>has included code for those features too. To date it appears to me
>that people license DBMS tools for the PRIMARY, not negotiable, feature
>of having an API for creating, reading, updating, and deleting data on
>secondary storage devices, even if there are other important features
>too. Right?

Completely wrong. The primary function of a DBMS is to manage data and not to be misused as a file system.

Regards Received on Thu May 05 2005 - 18:50:04 CEST

Original text of this message