Re: OI and 'business intelligence' and reality

From: Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 07:16:44 -0400

mountain man wrote:

> No, in fact I think you missed the point.
> The definition was simply
> OI = Sum (Data) + Sum(SoftwareCode)
>
> The domains are capable of union.
> Why wouldn't they be?
>
> Get the RDBMS data file and throw it in a directory.
> Now you have the data side of the domain.
>
> Get the OS software and the RDBMS software
> and all the application software components, and
> throw them into the same directory.
>
> Reasonably simple exercise. Reality check.
>
> The sum of this represents the present instance
> of the DATA for an organisation and the SOFTWARE
> at various layers in use at that organisation.

But what are you summing? Bytes? Seems you can only measure the usefulness of any commodity by its contribution to the bottom line. Putting some programs into that directory can REDUCE the bottom line.

To have a workable concept you have to better define the operator (+) and the operands (code) and (data).

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.