Re: the relational model of data objects *and* program objects

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:18:38 GMT

"Kenneth Downs" <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock> wrote  in message news:oqevi2-9q7.ln1_at_pluto.downsfam.net...

> A useful database will contain data that goes beyond normalization into
> automation. What interested me in the OP was my own question: what theory
> guides the definition, generation, and protection of automated data?

It would have to be a theory
not of "organisational data"
but of "organisational intelligence"
whereby the processes
(ie: programs, automations, etc)
associated with the data
are also conceptual objects
within the theory.

A definition "organisational intelligence", can be made reasonably concise when applicable to database systems, and computer systems in general.

Simply, one can define it as being bound by the sum of the data structures, and the data, and all lines of application level program code (in all possible environments) that are utilised in the production system. (ie: data + software)

I dont see a problem with this definition of "OI" as a starting point, but others may, and if so, I'd be interested in your reasonings.

Pete Brown
Falls Creek
Oz
www.mountainman.com.au Received on Thu Apr 28 2005 - 15:18:38 CEST