Re: the relational model of data objects *and* program objects

From: erk <eric.kaun_at_gmail.com>
Date: 21 Apr 2005 08:56:43 -0700

Bernard Peek wrote:
> If anyone can find even one instance of a system where
> decentralised systems are easier to create than a centralised one
your
> entire argument falls.

I'll be holding my breath a long time, although the original arguments (which I omitted in my response) was within the context of software development and deployment. "Operate" can mean too many things, as can "system."

> My favourite decentralised system is the world's oldest and largest
> database system. It's the library network. There are thousands of
> repositories around the world. They all work independently yet
> interoperate very effectively.

The analogy isn't a good one, but if we're talking computer systems, then my point is stil valid: if it met requirements and constraints, a single library and a single system would be far easier. None of those pesky protocols and data transfers and such between libraries if all the books are in one place, and all the books in one database, with no need for integration.

It just wouldn't meet human needs, but the software would certainly be easier to create and operate.

Sorry for not clarifying that, but I thought it was assumed...

  • Eric