Re: the relational model of data objects *and* program objects

From: Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:30:03 -0400

mountain man wrote:

> This thread concerns the relationship between data objects
> and program objects and the model used to conceptualise
> the totality of relationships within and between the objects.
>
> Cursory study of the ecology of all computer database systems
> reveal the existence of a number of different species of objects,
> data objects and program objects being two.

You know, we never talked about testing and version control.

Assertion: complete specification of actions in meta-data, as described elsewhere in the thread, is the easiest way to produce testing, and it also converts version control into an entirely new animal.

Also, dependencies can be tracked very well. If somebody says, "We need an A/R module in this new system, but not A/P or G/L", you can run a SELECT out of the dd for all objects that depend on the A/R subs ledger, and this is the spec that must be fed to the builder.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.