Re: the relational model of data objects *and* program objects

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:49:25 +0100

In message <J739e.16431$5F3.8706_at_news-server.bigpond.net.au>, mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op> writes
>"Bernard Peek" <bap_at_shrdlu.com> wrote:
>
>> It really is a good idea to have some things centralised.
>
>I agree. The efficiency of management, coordination and
>change-management of a thing increases with centralisation.
>Do counter-examples exist at all?

Lots. Consider the Soviet economy.

Centralisation is, in and of itself, neither good nor bad. Whether it is good or bad is different for every system and every user. For instance most people are likely to believe that centralised control is a good thing when they are the person at the centre. When someone else has central control they think the system sucks.

--
Bernard Peek
London, UK. DBA, Manager, Trainer & Author.