Re: the relational model of data objects *and* program objects

From: Tony Andrews <andrewst_at_onetel.com>
Date: 19 Apr 2005 06:41:05 -0700

See http://www.dbdebunk.com/page/page/1490192.htm

> Having hierarchies is only one thread leading to a new model. Indeed,

> why we have to store (to model) all our tables in one space/scope? We

> never do it with our own files or other things so why do we do it
with
> tables? Because there are no other means.

You are confusing logical and physical. Relational tables (relations) don't specify where they are stored, nor whether a given table is stored in one place or many. A single (logical) relation might be implemented by physical storage scattered across many locations - or not. The user doesn't need to know either way.

Don't confuse a few current SQL DBMSs with "the relational model", and come to the erroneous conclusion that a new model is needed! Received on Tue Apr 19 2005 - 15:41:05 CEST

Original text of this message