Re: the relational model of data objects *and* program objects

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 05:27:28 GMT

"Kenneth Downs" <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock> wrote in message news:60l3j2-g8s.ln1_at_pluto.downsfam.net...
> mountain man wrote:
>
>>> So first we need to identify such dual things in programs, data and
>>> processes.
>>
>> I have thought about this, and concluded that the greatest
>> (and single most cost-incurring expense) related to database
>> systems is RE-definition of data ---- once in the database,
>> and again in the code (wherever the code may actually reside)
>>

> ...and once again in the next layer of the code, as in:
>
> 1) db layer
> 2) web service layer
> 3) browser layer
>
> This is why the One True Data Dictionary must exist outside of all of
> them,
> and be used to implement all of them. If the spec is both
> machine-readable and human-readable, mores the better.

Another alternative is to have the data dictionary defined within the database systems software once and definitively and all other software layers reference this. Of course the db layer could publish this into other layers.

Pete Brown
Falls Creek
Oz
www.mountainman.com.au Received on Fri Apr 15 2005 - 07:27:28 CEST