Re: the relational model of data objects *and* program objects

From: Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:40:55 -0400

erk wrote:

> Kenneth Downs wrote:

>> Indeed <sigh>.  The good news is that the commercial world is in fact

>> meritocracy, if you remember that the judges are the customers, not

> the
>> managers.  A good manager is usually a poor innovator, but customers,

> by
>> voting with their dollars, will reward the innovator.

> In terms of development technology, managers and executives (not
> developers and end users) vote with dollars, but what do they vote for?
> The majority of purchasing decisions I've seen are alleged and
> pseudo-quantitive criteria like "market presence," "platform
> consistency," "standards-based," and "technology partnership-driven".
> More realistically, you have "stock options," "sales perks," and
> "whatever was in InfoWeek this week." Much hides in the word "merit" -
> it's seldom technical.

True for larger companies where the decision maker's primary goal is to not get fired for making a mistake.

In smaller companies the decision maker is likely to be sole share-holder, and these are the folks who make the distruptive technology model real. Sell to enough of them and you begin to gain the market presence, and you go up from there.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.