Re: the relational model of data objects *and* program objects

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:53:12 GMT

"erk" <eric.kaun_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1113401292.645728.267500_at_l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Kenneth Downs wrote:

...[trim]...

>> Or, to further rephrase, we are seeking the vocabulary for the
> meta-data
>> that would completely describe both inert data and actions upon data.
>
> Isn't this the realm of semantics?

No.

>> A really nifty database product would implement that enriched
> meta-data.
>
> It would be more than a database product - it would be a model of
> computation.

This is a gem, thanks.

It is a model of the data to which may be added another dimension - that of the processes associated with the instance of that database for that organisation.

A model of computation would have a register of such processes. This register is simply a table in the db.

Pete Brown
Falls Creek
Oz
www.mountainman.com.au Received on Thu Apr 14 2005 - 10:53:12 CEST