Re: Database Management Systems (elements and purpose of)

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 15:23:08 +0200

dawn wrote:

> mAsterdam wrote:

>>Some things a DBMS is NOT:
>>
>>A persistence mechanism.

> Good to hear from you again, mAsterdam!

Thank you, dawn.

> So, if someone were to require a persistence mechanism for data, they
> ought not look at DBMS products?

Indeed. If a persistence mechanism is all you need, just serialize your objects into a file. Any more overhead would be wasted.

> I doubt that is what you mean by this,
> but if not, then what do you mean?

So, yes, it is what I meant. I suspect your doubt stems from additional requirements.

> It appears to me that persisting data to secondary storage devices is a
> feature of most DBMS products. In fact, I suspect that it is a
> requirement that users of these products would consider a "must have"
> when searching for such tools.

Sure - but for _just_ persistence you do better without DBMS.

> Are you defining DBMS more narrowly than the vendors of such tools? If
> so, what would you call the category of products if not DBMS products?
> Am I misinterpreting your point? Cheers! --dawn

Let's find out. Received on Sat Apr 09 2005 - 15:23:08 CEST

Original text of this message