Re: SQL Standards

From: Frank_Hamersley <terabite_at_isat.bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:27:47 GMT

"Noel" <nobody_at_nowhere.com> wrote in message news:vbg351t32p4962qqvp1ms000umste6ni7i_at_4ax.com...
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:12:41 -0800, DA Morgan
> <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
>
> >If creators of databases do follow the standard ... then they have
> >commiditized their offerings and the result will be (A) purchases based
> >on price alone, and (B) Microsoft wins.
>
> Absolutely not. M$ runs on one platform, namely M$. In the event
> that vendors start adhering to the standard, they can still
> differentiate their products on performance, ease of administration
> and other value-added features that do not impinge on the standard.

You forgot to mention reliability and security which IMO don't fall under value added although Bill seems to think differently if the product sells regardless of its stature in these criteria and it brings the cashflow (RTM) date nearer.

Apols - the cynic in me couldn't resist! :-)

Cheers, Frank. Received on Tue Apr 05 2005 - 02:27:47 CEST

Original text of this message