Re: Data Constraints Vs Application Constraints

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 06:57:16 -0800

lennart_at_kommunicera.umea.se wrote:
> If possible, setup a copy of the db somewhere (might not be possible
> due to size and platform), and try to add as many f.k and check
> constraints that time admits. If the database have been around for a
> while, you are very likely to find violations in the data. That should
> indicate why dataintegrity rules should be enforced in the database.
>
> Main argument for your position is of course that data is better
> protected that way (as indicated above). Other arguments that come to
> mind are, it is much easier to maintain and understand.
>
> Just my 2 skr thoughts

I'll add one more that is highly significant.

For every front-end developer that thinks they have coded application constraints that are air-tight ... there is some guy with a tool, that can connect to the database, and make ad hoc changes. Think every DBA, every developer, every hacker, and lots of angry disgruntled employees.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington