Re: "thou shalt not conflate meta-data with data"

From: -CELKO- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 27 Feb 2005 12:43:06 -0800

>> Nolan Feb 27, 12:16 pm show options

Newsgroups: comp.databases.theory
From: "Nolan" <NMadsonGoo..._at_yahoo.com> - Find messages by this author

Date: 27 Feb 2005 12:16:38 -0800
Subject: "thou shalt not conflate meta-data with data" Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

I'm trying to decide how to handle metadata for a client who has to deal with confidential client information (SSN, name, address, etc.) Each column of confidential information is described by a code (SS, NM,

AD, etc.) because the columns may have different names in different data sources.
>> I'm inclined to add a metadata element at the table level that flags
whether or not the table contains confidential information. Then at the column level there would be a metadata element for the code that describes the type of confidential data this column contains. <<

I would be inclined to use VIEWs based on the CURRENT_USER and a table of security access groups. Then do a lot of GRANT, DENY and REVOKE stuff. Received on Sun Feb 27 2005 - 21:43:06 CET

Original text of this message