Re: What is Aggregation? Re: grouping in tuple relational calculus

From: Dan <guntermann_at_verizon.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 03:58:20 GMT

> Er, Dawn, you have just been nominated for the "best description of the
> Functional Data Model, FDM, that doesn't mention that name" award. ;-)
> Note by the way that although this is an old model it has actually seen
> some renewed interest recently. E.g.:
>
> http://www.csd.abdn.ac.uk/~gjlk/mediator/report.html

After taking a look at this, I get the definite impression that this builds on the mediator philosophy and archtecture proposed by Wiederhold at Stanford, but I don't see attribution in this regard. So perhaps I'm mistaken.

It's been a while, but part of Wiederhold's basis for the mediator approach was that individuals were overloaded and incapable of absorbing and efficiently using large integrated and related data stores. The trio (Widom, Garcia-Molina, and Ullman) at Stanford wrote quite a bit based on Gio Wiederhold's original paper. I also thought they were working on functional integration models.

Again, it's been awhile since I looked at that stuff in terms of research.

  • Dan