Re: So let me get this right: (Was: NFNF vs 1NF ...)

From: DBMS_Plumber <paul_geoffrey_brown_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10 Feb 2005 16:52:48 -0800

Lauri Pietarinen:

> Do values of sets have implicit order? I don't think so. You are
placing a heavy burden on the system if it has to maintain order so as to retain identity.

I ain't placin' no burden on nuthin' (particularly not elements of sets). I'm just describing the XML data model, and makin' the point that getting results in the 'right' order involves the same kind of complexities as eliminating duplicates from a result.

If you can build an XML system that's less than within an order of magnitude of a SQL system, that supports the null hypothesis (it's all in the implementation: not the data model). If XML turns out to be 10x slower, that's bad for set algebras (and XML, but I digress). If it is--as Alberto seems to suggest-- more than 10X faster, then that's evidence for set algebras. Received on Fri Feb 11 2005 - 01:52:48 CET

Original text of this message