Re: Can we solve this -- NFNF and non-1NF at Loggerheads

From: Dan <guntermann_at_verizon.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 13:51:28 GMT

"Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_novoa_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:is7h01llaoq7objf7rc0c9kaedcr03tc58_at_4ax.com...
> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 12:41:48 -0500, "Alan" <alan_at_erols.com> wrote:
>

>>Alan, via Elmasri/Navathe:
>>"...it was defined to disallow multivalued
>>attributes, composite attributes, and their combinations. It states that
>>the
>>domain of an attribute must include only atomic (simple, indivisible)
>>values..."
>>
>>There is no way to interpret other than how it was written.
>
> I agree. Elmasri and Navathe are plain wrong.

Alfredo,

Please explain why they are wrong. Demonstrate your point and prove it with words that are prolific and precise (other than I am right and you are all ignorant fools).

> You can read a correct definition in Date's "Introduction to Database
> Systems".

Here we go:

First Normal Form: A relvar is in 1NF if and only if, in every legal value of that relvar, every tuple contains exactly one value for each attribute (Date, 7th ed. p. 357).

Explain how this differs substantially. Try to use your own words to justify if you can, rather than relying on and referring us to someone else's argument.

> Regards

Thanks,

Dan Received on Tue Feb 08 2005 - 14:51:28 CET

Original text of this message