Re: Question about modeling

From: Dan <guntermann_at_verizon.net>
Date: 1 Feb 2005 14:52:24 -0800

Celko wrote: "You might want to look at a series of five articles by Tom J­ohnston in
2001 September in DM REVIEW on unobvious redudancies. This ­is starting
to sound like the example in his last article."

I've been looking at this and bouncing it off my own undertanding of the rules; and I'm not sure where the unobvious redundancies lie.

Clients <-> Departments is one type of (relationship) fact. Clients <-> Contracts is another type of (relationship) fact. <Clients, Departments> <-> <Clients, Contracts> WHERE client=client is yet another type of (relationship) fact.

I've skimmed through Tom Johnston's articles, but I cant' find the relevance.

BTW, isn't he the guy that claimed that he invented of the notion of physical independence (in different termology) in 1991? The name seems to ring a bell in that regard.

Regards,

  • Dan