Re: Define "flatten database" ?

From: David Cressey <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:31:13 GMT

"Alan" <not.me_at_rcn.com> wrote in message news:36483jF4tcn38U1_at_individual.net...

> I now understand why you understand it the way you do, but flattening is
not
> normalizing. Flattening a relational database is denormalizing. Not all
> denormalizing is flattening, but all flattening is denormalizing- unless
> someone can prove this to be wrong.

I have not wanted to offer a definition of "flattening" because I've never seen a formal definition of "flat data". I've seen database data contrasted with "flat files" enough times to have an inkling of what the writers intended by the term "flat files". And not all writers mean exactly the same thing. Let me come back to this.

First, a problem with this discussion is that "normalized", "denormalized", and "flattened" are all being discussed as though they were points (or directions) along a scale with only one dimension. I don't think so. There is plenty of data that is neither normalized nor flat, nor anywhere in between.

When you are faced with complex data rendered in a normalized form, and you are asked how to flatten it, you might say "denormalize". When you are asked how to get from New York to San Francisco, you might say "cross the Hudson". Both are true, but don't really deal with the subject.

Now back to what I think the people who have written about data in "flat files" meant. Most of the time, the writer was referring to a stream of records, where all the records were of the same type. Some writers wanted the records themselves to be "flat records", and some writers meant different things by that.

By "flat records" some writers meant that no field of a flat record could be a record. This turns out not to be a very useful distinction.

Other writers meant that a "flat record" could not contain an array of data, otherwise known as a repeating group. Hence, Dawn's comments.

If there is an actual definition of "flattened", it would be nice to add it to the glossary. If not, we should just accept that IT argot, like that of other crafts, has a lot of terminolongy that just came into being without formal analysis. Received on Sun Jan 30 2005 - 15:31:13 CET

Original text of this message