Re: Foreign key in Oracle Sql

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:51:38 -0800

That's what I thought. To me this is the definition: http://www.sba.gov/size/sizetable2002.pdf

>>But even if you aren't watching ... MS is ... and Linux is the flavour
>>of the decade.

> Which decade?

2001-2010. And if that is not true the paranoia here in Redmond Washington, with respect to Linux, would dictate that it will be very soon. Balmer is down in Brazil begging the country on bended knee not to walk away from Windows and the PRC (China) and other countries, such as Germany, are walking the same road.

The entire planet does not revolve around the US and our influence is decreasing as each day passes.

> http://www.emarketer.com/Article.aspx?1003196 - in 2004, 1.3% of PCs
> worldwide run Linux as opposed to 96.2% running various versions of
> Windows.

And what were the numbers 5 years ago?

The numbers you quote include desktop machines and home machines which are irrelevant in the context of this usenet group: comp.database.theory.

No one working with serious databases is using them at home or on their desktop. Serious databases are in the realm of servers and server clusters where the numbers are substantially different. A look at the decisions being made by Sun with respect to Solaris, HP with respect to HP/UX and IBM with respect to AIX vs Linux indicate my statement is valid in this context.

>>>They are concerned with running their business, not with learning
>>>computers, so they LIKE a pretty and intuitive GUI. They are already used
>>>to the Windows look-and-feel. They'd have a hard time converting to any
>>>other OS.
>>
>>Exactly what is the difference between the Windows GUI and the RedHat
>>Linux GUI?

> (snip)
>
> Why then did *you* write:

Because in the context of a server one doesn't type STARTX at the command line and there is no GUI (X-Windows) overhead. That is not an option with Windows.

>>>The CPU spends most of it's time twiddling thumbs.
>>
>>Not in the database world which is the topic of this discussion. The CPU
>>often is pegged at 100%.

> To be more specific, the topic of discussion is databases being used as
> backend for an ERP package that's being deployed at a small to medium
> sized business - up to a few thousnd employees in my perception.

I'll grant small but I still don't see that as mid-size.

> If the CPU is pegged at 100% in that scenarion, then they aither use a
> very inefficient database as backend, or they have some terribly
> ineffective application logic.

Or they do things that are math intensive such as aggregations which is the heart of pretty much any reporting process.

> Within the context of databases used as backend to ERP packages, more
> functionality of the database is irrelevant.

Nonsense. That is absolute nonsense. If one were to agree with your statement one would have to also agree with the statement that much of the functionality of SAP, PeopleSoft, Siebel, Oracle CRM, and Onyx are unnecessary: And they are the industry leaders.

  > Best, Hugo

Best to you too.

--
Daniel A. Morgan