Re: Foreign key in Oracle Sql

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:52:31 -0800

TML wrote:

> However, perhaps I'm just dense here, but I wasn't able to discern
> the technical reason you couldn't implement a
> runtime switch to enable this sort of thing to change going forward.

Schema by schema, first of all, would violate every rule I can think of in Oracle so lets assume it was done instance by instance. Well that wouldn't work either because Oracle unlike SQL Server, Sybase, Informix, and DB2 has RAC that allows a 1:M relationship between instances and the database. Well we can solve that by putting the switch at the database level and that works right up until one chooses to create a database link, or use DataGuard, or Advanced Replication, or any of Oracle's other products. And you still haven't dealt with the fact that it is not end-user code that matters so much as the kernel code, all written in C and Fortran that expects certain things to be delivered in a certain way and have a very specific meaning.

This not a case where creating a new pragma will solve the problem.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington