Re: Foreign key in Oracle Sql

From: David Cressey <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:29:59 GMT

"Tony Andrews" <andrewst_at_onetel.com> wrote in message news:1106152618.369720.187290_at_c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

> I'm afraid you are flogging a dead horse. Some people's love of Oracle
> is so blind that they cannot admit it has any faults whatsoever: Mr
> Morgan may be one of those people. (OTOH, some people's hatred of
> Oracle is so blind that they cannot admit it has any virtues
> whatsoever: Mr Celko may be one of those people ) ;-)

After some reflection, I've decided your analysis is correct.

I like Joe's books and ideas a lot, but I take his comments on Oracle with a big grain of salt.

I don't know much about DA Morgan, but I think he or she understood my comment about Oracle doing NULLS wrong in one instance as either senselesss whining or a demand that Oracle fix the problem. It was neither of the two.

I was merely pointing out to the person who was trying to enlighten me about what NULLS really mean that the Oracle code he or she used to illustrate the point was relying on a bug in Oracle. I am in reality not deeply outraged about this bug. Nor do I think that it should enter into a decision of whether or not to buy an Oracle license, except in some very particular and unusual circumstances.

Thanks for alerting me to the fact that I was flogging a dead horse. Received on Thu Jan 20 2005 - 14:29:59 CET

Original text of this message