Re: Foreign key in Oracle Sql

From: -CELKO- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 15 Jan 2005 14:25:25 -0800

>> Operations that expose a physical ordering: bad idea, agreed. But
you
don't have to use them, do you? <<

And I don't use them. But I do have to clean up the crap that Newbies who did use them because they were quick and easy.

>> Subqueries: I take it you mean incomplete support for SQL. If so,
agreed.<<

Actually, it means a lack of relational algebra in the engine design in favor of a file oriented set of primitives. It is like a FORTRAN compiler that cannot do algebra past a certain complexity. You have to take out all the parentheses yourself and do any factoring.

No Optimizer: As you know, if you know me, I really, really like a good optimizer. So, in terms of "goodness" I rate the quality of the optimizer very highly. But an optimizer is a "good feature", not a "relational feature". A real engine minus the optimizier is still a real engine. Just real slow.

Without that optimizer, I have a compiled language when I wanted a non-procedural one. To me, that is not an RDBMS; it is a fancy file system that has no knowledge of the data that it is in charge of. Received on Sat Jan 15 2005 - 23:25:25 CET

Original text of this message