Re: Network databases

From: David Cressey <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 13:14:30 GMT

"-CELKO-" <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message news:1105635076.807655.224500_at_c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

> Then IBM put SQL into public domain by bringing in the base document
> for SQL-86 from the Santa Teresa labs to ANSI. In those days, this was
> very brave since IP law was still brand new.

I'm interested in the time frame for the above. I started working with a relational database while I was still inside DEC in the '80s. Version one of Rdb hadn't actually been released yet, but you could get ahold of it inside the company, if you were prepared to live dangerously. Rdb didn't adopt SQL until about 1986. At first they offered it "in addition to" the original interface. Eventually, it became the main interface. Received on Fri Jan 14 2005 - 14:14:30 CET

Original text of this message