Re: 3NF question

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 10:41:55 -0800

jonnie wrote:
> -CELKO- wrote:
>

>>There is no such thing as a"Magical, universal id number"; newbies

> use
>
>>IDENTITY or other proprietary auto-numbering devices to mimick a
>>sequential tape file when they do not understand RDBMS and keys.

> I respect what you have said. On the otherhand, I would like to say
> that I believe ID can be an acceptable attribute for an object, even if
> a sequential identity scheme is deemed unsuitable.

I disagree. A person table might have a person_id that uniquely identifies that person within a specific application. But a column named ID has no place in any set.

  Furthermore, I
> wouldn't mind making the Login/Password table employ an ID foreign key
> to refer to the ID property.

If the login is unique any additional identifier is at best redundant and at worst a guarantee of losing system integrity.

  When asked what benefit this expensive
> indirection offered, i could only say "maybe i get to have one or more
> login/password combinations for each user (feebly suggesting additional
> design freedom (ouch!) ) or, worse, that an ID would somehow be better
> protected by preventing its everyday use. Well, at least the FDs looked
> pretty, I thought.

Maybe only works in poker if everyone else folds.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington