Re: Is ORM still live ???

From: <Gnom3r_at_gmail.com>
Date: 5 Jan 2005 23:52:15 -0800

I am currently studying information modelling at Northface University. This includes an emphasis on ORM being taught by Terry Halpin himself. We have also looked extensively at UML, ER and others.

It's true that you can get the job done with any of these tools, and I personally prefer to do my designs using "interpretive dance" as mentioned above.... Depending on what exactly you are modeling, you choose the right tool for the job. ORM is very powerfull (especially when it comes to modeling databases), and allows you to capture in your model things that the others do not. This has the potential to allow you to save time in the long run by having a more complete model. Then by using tools like Visio to be able to automatically generate DLL including these extra items....

Or course, if your model is able to include these extra items it's bound to be more complex, and thus, harder to pickup and learn. As of now, I am not in a position to definitevly tell you if it's worth it in not, but in my situation I think that it is. Especially since ORM was the first that I learned. With my perspective it's easy to look at UML and ER and see what's missing compared to ORM, but without the real-world aspect and not much experience using the other tools in the field it's hard to tell... Received on Thu Jan 06 2005 - 08:52:15 CET

Original text of this message