Re: Pearson-r in SQL

From: -CELKO- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 24 Dec 2004 08:22:00 -0800

Thank you *very much* for the references -- I can now do something over Christmas instead of watching parades and sappy movies on television :)

I did not use the AVG() because I wanted to see if anyone had an arguement for changes to SUM() and/or COUNT(). Yes, the "^2" is not Standard SQL, but there are several vendor versions, such as POWER (x, 2) or SQR(x).

I am an old FORTRAN programmer, so I tend to write (x*x) too much. We used to do that to avoid converting integers to float in the early days.

>> If you want to keep them, I would first calculate a linear
regression
with the remaining pairs, say y = a + b*x, and then fill in the expected values, .. <<

I thought about that, but I was worried that this would force the missing values toward a correlation, whereas an average would be more representative of each set of values without influence from the other set. Or even use a Median, as a better measure of central tendency within a set.
But I honestly do not know what the preferred method is. Received on Fri Dec 24 2004 - 17:22:00 CET

Original text of this message