Re: Table design for application options

From: Hugo Kornelis <hugo_at_pe_NO_rFact.in_SPAM_fo>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:18:59 +0100

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:08:29 -0600, Dawn M. Wolthuis wrote:

>It isn't overkill to use a text file and delimit your parameters with xml
>tags in something referred to as an XML document. In this case I would
>suggest it is overkill to have an xsd or dtd file to correspond to an XML
>parameter document. Having the tags just makes it a tad bit easier to
>understand and less likely to make mistakes when maintaining the parameter
>data than if you used a comma-quote delimited file for the same purpose.

Hi Dawn,

mAmsterdam was comparing XML to traditional techniques as .INI files. I agree with him (her?) - I fail to see how

<DialogSettings>
<XPos>372</XPos>
<YPos>249</YPos>
<XSize>280</XSize>
<YSize>292</YSize>
<IsMinimized>0</IsMinimized>
<IsMaximized>0</IsMaximized>
<IsHidden>0</IsHidden>
<IsTopMost>0</IsTopMost>
<ShowTrayStatus>0</ShowTrayStatus>
</DialogSettings>

Would be more readable then

[DialogSettings]
XPos=372
YPos=249
XSize=280
YSize=292
IsMinimized=0
IsMaximized=0
IsHidden=0
IsTopMost=0
ShowTrayStatus=0

(this is the content of an actual .INI file on my computer)

Best, Hugo

--

(Remove _NO_ and _SPAM_ to get my e-mail address)