Re: What is an "Extensible Database"

From: Tom Hester <thester_at_metadata.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:11:38 -0800

LineVoltageHalogen wrote:

> There is not much out there with regards to this illusive animal. I
> was hoping that someone here might have some descriptive information on
> what an Extensible Database is or theoretically does?
>
> Regards, TFD.

I think the simplest answer is that it is a marketing term. Having said that, it seems to have been used at different times to mean different things. In the early days of object-oriented databases, it meant a dbms--really a query facility--that could support multiple models. More recently it has had meaning similar to virtual database system, that is a system that can access both local and remote, heterogeneous databases (say relational and xml) as if they were all local. This is in a sense simply an extension of the previous sense since it does require support for multiple models. Received on Wed Dec 08 2004 - 23:11:38 CET

Original text of this message