Re: problem with historical data and referential integrity

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.comREMOVE>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 15:55:54 -0600

"plm" <plmuon_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1102333692.524590.129400_at_f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hello,
>
> Hate to answer to myself, but the problem is still bothering me. I
> would very much appreciate to know why noone answered until now:
> - was it a stupid question?

Not at all. However, you stated your problem in SQL terms and when it comes to historical data, I doubt that SQL (at least RDBMS structures using SQL-92 or before) would be the easiest way to go. The relational world is aware of this with recent writings on time-oriented data and the like. If you were to have stated your problem at the database theory level, without use of SQL, I would likely have responded.

> - is it an unsolved problem (can't imagine, it seems too common)?

Nope. There are many differing approaches, however, and I don't know of a "best practices pattern" in the RDBMS world for such problems. I could give you solutions from non-RDBMS environments, but those would likely not be that helpful to you.

> - is it not relevant to many?

It is relevant to many.

<snip>

Cheers! --dawn Received on Mon Dec 06 2004 - 22:55:54 CET

Original text of this message