Re: Logical equivalence of simple and complex types under the relational model?

From: Tom Hester <thester_at_metadata.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:05:48 -0800

Rene de Visser wrote:
> I have read a number of papers that discuss whether complex data types
> should be allowed under the relational model.
>
> What I haven't seen analysed is whether there is actually any logical
> difference (upto renaming/isomorphism) between the resulting models.
languages) it makes no logical difference?

> Rene.

If you mean literally a logical difference, then there is. The easiest way of thinking of logic and databases is to think of the data model as an interpretation of a language. If the model is composed only of simple types then the language is first order function free--the kind of   logic that we all learned as undergraduates. If the model allows complex types then the language is no longer function free--it is more complex, allowing functions that define the abstract types. Received on Tue Nov 30 2004 - 01:05:48 CET

Original text of this message