Re: Relational vs network vs hierarchic databases

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 06:57:05 GMT

"Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:QaWdnbbDXp-LjAzcRVn-3g_at_comcast.com...

> My original comment was directed back to the OP. His original question was
> about how to respond to OO people who claimed that hierarchical dababases
> were "better than" relational ones. He went on to speculate that the
> comparison was based on performance, from the OO point of view.

I was a fairly staunch OO guy once upon a time, and I was rather convinced that relational databases were boring and stupid. I can imagine myself saying something like the above. What I would have meant was "While I understand OOP, I don't really understand relational databases, so I hate and fear them."

I'm not sure if any solid performance argument is necessary to motivate a verbal dismissal of relational.

Marshall Received on Sat Nov 20 2004 - 07:57:05 CET

Original text of this message