Re: Demo: Modelling Cost of Travel Paths Between Towns

From: Alan <not.me_at_uhuh.rcn.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:29:08 GMT

"Neo" <neo55592_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4b45d3ad.0411181208.4894f98a_at_posting.google.com...
> > > Neo: [With TM/XDb2] user can ... update the age of any thing whose
> > > name is john and has an age, including that of things whose class is
> > > unknown at design-time (ie a person, dog, cat, pig, plane, etc in the
> > > future). Try coding that in RM.
> > >
> > > Alan: It doesn't get a whole lot easier
> > >
> > > Neo: So let's step thru it and fill in the details...
> > >
> > > Alan: If you can't tell me what data you will want to see two hours
> > > from now, you will not be working here much longer...
> >
> > I love the way you change the rules.
> > Now it's an AI application, not just a database.
>
> "[With TM/XDb2] user can ... update the age of any thing whose name is
> john and has an age, including that of things whose class is unknown
> at design-time (ie a person, dog, cat, pig, plane, etc in the
> future)."
>
> > No one here ever said that an RDBMS is a proper medium for an AI apps.
>
> Thanks for confirming that RM is the limited data model.
>
> > > Here is how with TM/XDb2....
> > > ... no schema to design.
> > > New things need not conform to any predefined tables or schema.
> >
> > In yours, you build relationships as you go.
> > For each and every piece of data you need to store.
> > This is NOT scalable by any stretch of the imagination.
>
> Check between your ears.
>
> > > Neo: "SELECT %.age & %.name=john" works until eternity
> >
> > So does RM.
>
> I didn't see the RM query that will work until eternity.
> Could you show it?

<sigh>
CREATE TABLE test
(
classVARCHAR2(4000) PRIMARY KEY,
name VARCHAR2(4000) PRIMARY KEY,
age NUMBER
)
;
INSERT INTO test VALUES (put the values here) ;

SELECT *
FROM test
WHERE age > 0
;

ALTER TABLE age
ADD color VARCHAR2(50)
;

UPDATE age
SET color = 'brown'
WHERE class = 'Tree Trunk'
;

SELECT *
FROM test
WHERE age > 0
;

I can go on like this forever. It will still work. I can even modify the PK. I's all rather trivial. Received on Thu Nov 18 2004 - 22:29:08 CET

Original text of this message