Re: Database vs. DBMS

From: Kenneth Downs <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:29:29 -0500

Ja Lar wrote:

> "Kenneth Downs" <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net> ...
>

>> Marshall Spight wrote:
>>
>>> I just want to go on record as saying that I find the
>>> whole pedantic insistence on differentiating between
>>> a database and a dbms tiresome and counterproductive.
>>> It isn't "precise"; it's ostentatious. Humans are
>>> very, very good at disambiguating, and I've never
>>> seen anyone confuse a database and a dbms,
>>> even when the wrong term was used.
>>>
>>> People don't confuse classes and objects either,
>>> even if their diction would lead you to believe
>>> otherwise.
>>>

>>> Marshall
>>
>> hear hear!
>>
>> It seems we muddle, stifle, and stunt a lot of good conversations here by
>> going off on tangents that always begin with some "helpful" soul who
>> corrects something that did not need correcting.
>
> Based on this and other posts in this thread (including my own), I would
> like to add (or perhaps further clarify) that, IMO of course, much would
> be improved if each individual tried his/her best to be precise, exact and
> as "correct" with regard to the proper terminology etc. as possible when
> _writing_, and as open-minded and forgiving as reasonable when _reading_.
> The same "pattern" could be useful with regard to conduct and tone in
> general.

An excellent ethic. If we ever compile that FAQ, it should go in, it seems a point worth making in any technical newsgroup.

--
Kenneth Downs

java.lang.String.tcpip.usenet.posting.response.sigblock.setSig("After
finally finding the right object abd method to set the sig block, I forgot
what I wanted to say!");