Re: Database vs. DBMS

From: Ja Lar <ingen_at_mail.her>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:44:02 +0100

"Kenneth Downs" <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net> ...

> Marshall Spight wrote:
>
>> I just want to go on record as saying that I find the
>> whole pedantic insistence on differentiating between
>> a database and a dbms tiresome and counterproductive.
>> It isn't "precise"; it's ostentatious. Humans are
>> very, very good at disambiguating, and I've never
>> seen anyone confuse a database and a dbms,
>> even when the wrong term was used.
>>
>> People don't confuse classes and objects either,
>> even if their diction would lead you to believe
>> otherwise.
>>

>> Marshall
>
> hear hear!
>
> It seems we muddle, stifle, and stunt a lot of good conversations here by
> going off on tangents that always begin with some "helpful" soul who
> corrects something that did not need correcting.

Based on this and other posts in this thread (including my own), I would like to add (or perhaps further clarify) that, IMO of course, much would be improved if each individual tried his/her best to be precise, exact and as "correct" with regard to the proper terminology etc. as possible when _writing_, and as open-minded and forgiving as reasonable when _reading_. The same "pattern" could be useful with regard to conduct and tone in general. Received on Wed Nov 17 2004 - 19:44:02 CET

Original text of this message