Re: The TransRelational Model: Clarifications

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:13:53 GMT

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:17:52 -0800, "Mikito Harakiri" <mikharakiri_at_iahu.com> wrote:

>"Performance independent of the complexity of the queries" sounds indeed
>unbelievable to anybody with traditional database implementation background.

Well, total independence is impossible but the level of independence that we might obtain with the TRM has nothing to do with the one we have with the traditional implementations. It is a giant leap towards such ideal independence.

Date is not stupid, when he says that the TRM is an important advance he has his reasons.

>Also, is there such thing as query optimization in TRM?

No, query optimization is a previous step, but there are complex operations (like joins), that are very straightforward with the TRM.

In many cases it is rather easy to find the BEST plan for the current structures.

Regards Received on Tue Nov 16 2004 - 13:13:53 CET

Original text of this message