Re: Database vs. DBMS

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:14:34 GMT

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 07:32:04 GMT, "Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote:

>I just want to go on record as saying that I find the
>whole pedantic insistence on differentiating between
>a database and a dbms tiresome and counterproductive.

It is absolutely fundamental IMO.

If we open the door to complete sloppiness we could finish being like Scott Ambler.

>It isn't "precise"; it's ostentatious. Humans are
>very, very good at disambiguating,

Then developers are the exception.

The bad use of the language was always the cause of most mistakes. You only have to review any "history of the philosophy" high school textbook .

> and I've never
>seen anyone confuse a database and a dbms,
>even when the wrong term was used.

I see that everyday when I read the programming forums.

Regards Received on Tue Nov 16 2004 - 13:14:34 CET

Original text of this message