Re: The Real World of Databases

From: Kenneth Downs <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:03:06 GMT

Paul Wagstaff wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've developed dbs in Access for about 4 years. I love the rapid
> development and responsiveness that, coupled with rudimentary VBA, use of
> MS Office etc, I can provide my customers.
>
> My questions are: to become serious at database development, what are the
> primary skills needed? (eg mathematics, logic, design/inventiveness?)
> Brief scans through this ng suggest a world of harder science rather than
> the softer arts.
>
> I *fear* my forte is the latter (eg I have no intention of reading Codd
> (nor do I think I'd properly understand him)) and need some
> adivce/pointers on whether it is possible to become a serious db developer
> and retain the joy of using Access and its GUI or does it all become a
> little bit *dry*?
>
> Any thoughts, references, books etc, will be gratefully appreciated.
>
> Many Thanks,
> Paul

You are likely to get many fine responses from the members of this group, whose experience is both deep and wide. I will keep mine short, which is this: learn to make and execute decisions. Why is this so important? Because there are so many technologies out there, and so many experts, and you will notice fast that the experts don't often agree. This means you must take what they say, weigh it in your own mind, and ultimately decide what to do based on your own circumstances, and then follow through on this decision until it has paid for itself. Then you start over again.

As for technical stuff, I've found that learning normalization is very important. An hour to learn, a lifetime to master.

--
Kenneth Downs
Use first initial plus last name at last name plus literal "fam.net" to